Monday, February 11, 2013

Splish, splash, splodge...

No, that's not the sound of me trudging through the rain but it is the wonderful sound of my messy hands in the craft room! This week at Simon Says Stamp & Show we are getting MESSY!!!!! So come on folks, get your ink, paint, mediums, sprays, powders and anything gloopy you like and join in the tactile creativity! For once I was very glad it wasn't baby food, nappies and other yukky stuff...
 Although I don't do a lot of it I  really like the styles and techniques used in Art Journalling. I am usually very precise and slightly obsessive when creating so this was a chance to just let go and allow the creative mood of the moment to take over... I took an 8 inch chunky canvas and dived in.
 I started with some scraps of Tissue tape, some rough swooshes of gesso and then I randomly stamped some Wendy leaves in black ink. Then more gesso, remembering to always dry between layers. I sprayed some yellow circles using a stencil I had made with my hole punches and then decided to add some scraps of design paper and more gesso. I like to use the gesso to block out anything that is too dominant or water it down when I want it to be translucent - giving a softer effect.
I needed more colour so I went for some pink sprayed through puchinella waste, added texture with more gesso and the Lettuce Dabber painted mini-mums followed by more stamping of the leaves - this time in Vermillion, with some small Wendy dots in Monarch Orange ink. I like to stamp in Archival inks as they don't smudge or move with water. Then just kept playing around with little details... such as the bigger Tim dots stamped in paint, some black pen lines and the inky bottle top rings as I needed some touches of blue.
It is very easy to forget the egdes so as I was working on the front I made sure I continued onto the sides too. I highlighted some of the yellow circles with a white pen as well as a few smaller dots and also stamped a few more  leaves in black as some had gone AWOL! Although I love all the colours and layers I just had to add some wording so I used certain words from my stamps sets along with letter stickers, typing and some Chit Chat words.
I stamped discover onto scrap paper, layered it onto a tag end, whilst possibility is stamped onto a piece of cotton ribbon soaked in gesso. I used a few smudges of paint and ink to help blend them into the canvas surface as I want them to be part of the whole composition - not 'stuck on' words...
And then suddenly I have the feeling, "I'm done". Put your hands in the air lady and back away from the canvas! So there you go - I hope it will brighten up your day. Discover the possibility... of getting very messy, expressive and inky! It will do you the world of good, I promise!

Take a look at all the fabulous creations from the Design Team - they will most definitely inspire you to get dirty! We want to see your inky fingers and art. Don't forget every week we choose our three top artists and there is also this generous $50 voucher to be won.
This is me and my pink fingers signing out! See you all soon, Sarah.  

25 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh what fun! So colorful and so much to see on this little canvas! Love the many stencils and designs! I could look at this for ages and see new things! FUN!!!

Suzanne C said...

Absolutely gorgeous colors and stamping. What a lovely canvas! The layers of stamping with the mix of colors is so springy!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I agree with Suzz there is a real SPRING feel to your canvas Sarah and your use of colour never disappoints. So eye catching and so many layers of interest which draw the eye into the canvas, you want to look closer at all the wonderful detail. EYE CATCHING. Tracy x x

Sandra said...

Wow this is one amazing canvas, Sarah! Love all the happy bright colors and layers of stamps! Fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

Redanne said...

The colours on your canvas are delicious Sarah, so much to see, so much texture, I really could just lose myself in all the wonderful colour! Beautiful work... Hugs, Anne x

Candy C said...

Sarah...I can so identify with you...I'm more a precise person as well when it comes to my art. But, I am finding that this art journaling style is very freeing and fun to do. I love your canvas. It's bright, it's full of fun stuff! Love the tissue tape idea as one of your many layers on this piece. The random stamping looks fabulous as does the stenciling. Love it! <3 Candy

Unknown said...

Love this! So gorgeous!

Shelly Hickox said...

I absolutely love the colors in this, Sarah!! You're really inspired me with this piece - gorgeousness! :)

Jeffy said...

I love your canvas. So fresh, so colorful.

Tracey said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I LOVe this board....I would so buy it!!

♥ Mys ♥ said...

Wow - this canvas is stunning!
Lots of bright clours and so much to see :) Love it!
*Hugs, Inger*

Art By Wanda said...

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne Bouchard said...

I so love this canvas! Tha colors are bright and "vitaminized", th espalshes are refreshing and make me think of srping! Fabulous!

Sandy said...

Such a beautiful dance of colors!!!!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

This is just stunning! I love the bright fresh colors :)

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

This canvas looks like it was totally fun to make, Sarah! I love the bright palette! Super cute!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Carole said...

Gorgeous selection of colors Sarah and a fabulous creation!

Craftychris said...

It certainly did brighten up my day! Its fabulous - I just love all the colour and texture xx

Gillian .... said...

Sarah this is stunning, such a fresh/vibrant feel to this project. x

Janny Jager said...

Very beautiful and colorful canvas Sarah
love it.
Greetings Janny

Marlena M. said...

This is beautiful and inspiring Sarah~I love working until I feel "done" also. ;) I haven't played with gesso yet...but your work is so pretty~I may just dive in!

Words and Pictures said...

Completely in love with this... I've saved it to come back and examine again! Such inspirational work... your canvas looks utterly beautiful, and so much fun to do.
Alison x

Juls said...

Gorgeous canvas, love the fabulous bright canvas. Hugs Juls

NathOuest said...

very nice colors .

maria f. said...

LOOOOOOVE this. I can just tell from it that you are happy and well. Haven't been by for awhile. Hope all is going well with your little one too.
Your edges - almost better than the whole canvas. Such detail!