Monday, November 14, 2011

In the Circles of my Mind...

Monday Greetings to you all! A new week flashes a smile and so does a new theme at Simon Says Stamp & Show where it's 'Women Only'. The fairer(?) sex, Diva, mother, lass, chica, gal, sister, damsel and Queen - we can be them all! Just maybe not all on a Monday morning though... I had been down with a cold all week and only felt fit enough to tackle my DT piece late on Saturday. So inspired by a single face I let my creative muse go freestyle.
The mystery of the female mind seemed an interesting path, so I surrounded myself with a hearty array of Wendy Vecchi Art Parts, stamps and inks and let the shapes tell me where they wanted to go. Soon enough the circular shapes and curved lines were winning my attention. I figured a woman's mind must be round because our thoughts sure like to perform some serious laps...
I used many shapes from the Sample Pack, which is just brimming with potential, and started out by constructing the flower pedestal. I used a combination of Fired Brick and Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks to colour them up, over stamping with Snow Cap Pigment ink or Coffee Archival ink. I really love how the Art by Number Stamp came out on the blue flower!

From there it was a process of constructing the main focus. I covered the circular frame with an old book page, inked it up and then glued the lower Art Part Leaves in place, which I've inked in Rusty Hinge. I also glued a small block of chip board to the other side of the circle. By glueing these three layers together I created more width at the base giving a more stable point I could then super glue to the pedestal.

I glued the other leaves in place and set to work on my lady who it is of course all about. I used the rather quirky but appealing Phrenology stamp from Art Rules. I stamped her onto Manila cardstock which I'd glued onto Grungeboard for extra thickness, adding some colour with Stormy Sky. I wanted to increase her feminine traits, so I added flowers stamped using the same set to create some floral hair, a Spinner pin, a little blush and lips with a crayon along with a glossy embossed starry eye. Ah, what a little make-up can do for a gal...! Then I felt that the Wings and Hands and ring could add some symbolism for the dreams, practical giftings and commitment of many a woman.

At the base I wanted to add one simple sentiment which was also destined for more circular lines. The pocket watch was just perfect in shape and mood. The desire to step out and yet the restrictions of time! I think we all know that Catch 22 story. I had a great journey.
I love being totally absorbed... it was wonderful to just sit and create in the moment, yet achieve a piece that expresses all you long to say.
I hope I can encourage you to be more spontaneous and free and to trust your own creative mood of the moment. Women Only is a fabulous theme which can be taken down so many paths. I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas on this one! Take a look at all the Design Teams really wonderful interpretations here. There's oodles of inspiration to be found!
So why not get creative, make a bid for the Top Three Title and be in with a chance of winning that very generous $50 shopping spree!
I'm into the wee hours now. I'm must flee the blogging nest and ascend the wooden hill. I've got a morning of sleeping in to catch up on. Heaven. Thanks ever so much for calling by. Wishing you all a great Monday (they do exist). I shall be back later...Sarah.

12 comments:

My name is Cindy said...

Wish my mind was that together this Monday morning! But an awesome pice, lovethe look of it.

Candy C said...

Sarah...first of all, I hope that you are feeling better! Your women only piece is really really inspired! I love your design using THE Wendy Vecchi Art Parts. It truly is amazing! I love the colors and the composition of your design. I also love your sentiment that you added. XO, Candy

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

This is an amazing artwork!!
Love al the details :-)

greetings, Alie

Crafty Loops said...

Sarah, this is really amazing. i love your thought behind every piece you used. Its a smashing piece of art. Hope you are feeling much better today. Lee x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Very striking colour palette Sarah and I find the curved shape and circles very appealing. I love the art by number stamp on the bottom flower, very striking combination. Your woman is the perfect addition to this piece as are those hands. Hope you are feeling a little better and had plenty of treats for your birthday. Tracy x

Art By Wanda said...

Sarah, this is fabulous and definitely inspired!!! Way, way cool!!!! Hope you are feeling better and have a fabulous week!!!

Siobhan Brignull said...

wow :)

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Sarah, she is lovely and so out of the box! I love how well the snowcap pigment ink and coffee archival complement each other in the stamping. Great piece!

Dorothy said...

Very striking!!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Cool creation, Sarah! I love the sentiment and the colors are brilliant together :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Helen said...

Stopped by for your WOYWW desk but couldn't see anywhere to comment... but this is fab too.

Gillian .... said...

Hi Sarah, wooooaah only you could take the womans mind and turn it into an amazing project like this ... totall genius, love all the elements to this fab project. x