Monday, August 1, 2011

Just Tagging Along...

Hello,
Looks like a Monday again! Bit of a corny title I know, but I couldn't bring myself to use a festive one quite yet as I'm about to flit off on my summer hols. So tags it is at Simon Says Stamp & Show. Always an enjoyable theme because you can create a whole work of art on one simple card. Tags are also great for trying out new things and that's just what I did with my new Season's Silhouette stamps from Mr. Holtz.

 I have an eclectic style and decided to combine both a vintage and modern look on my tag. The large word stamp makes an excellent background so I embossed it with clear powder repeating the stamping to cover the entire tag. Then I applied Peeled Paint, Fired Brick and a touch of Black Soot Distress Inks. A quick wipe with kitchen paper brings the letters back to full effect. Then onto some simple but bold embellishing.
I'm not a huge die-cut person and I'm always looking for ways to re-invent my stash and give you all some new ideas too.  So I thought I could combine two Cages to make a Christmas cage bauble! Just a little snip work and all was done. I inked it up and applied Rock Candy paint for a vintage look. It hangs on a chain scrap and Mr. Birdy is embossed in pearl powder for some sheen and has a little screw eye!

 I die-cut some flowers from Crinoline (thanks to my DT mate Linda C.) which has been coloured with the same Distress Stains as the inks. I also wanted to stick with a limited colour pallet and added just a metal Idea-ology centre plus a few brads on the cage.

 Finished off with a dyed tie, copper thread, white parcel string and a washer over the hole. Golly Christmas antics already. I am pleased I tried this out. I'd like to do one in blues and white too. Maybe you can try it out for me. Do let me know...
I'd love to see you join in the challenge. You could be the lucky winner of this fab voucher - or even stand in the spotlight with the Top Three tiara! Head over to the our blog to see more amazing creations from the 'just so wonderful' Design Team! With that, I'll also sign off.

Thank you for calling by - always love to share my work.
Looking forward to your tags!

Sarah.

13 comments:

Suze Bain said...

Love the background stamping, and the birdcage, and the flower .... totally gorgeous! xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Inspired use of the bird cage, gorgeous flower on a beautiful tag. Tracy xv

2amscrapper said...

glad I stopped by to see your creativity--from the bird cage to the washer--love the tag!

Faith Maupin said...

LOVE this - especially the cage - sooooo creative! Thanks so much for sharing!

DeeDee Catron said...

absolutely wonderful inspiration! SO graphic, and so well done. New follower :) Always love a great blog full of gorgeous work.

Terry said...

Oh I am just loving this tag! Every detail is gorgeous!

salamanda said...

This is a really beautiful tag and I love your style.

Bunnyfreak said...

Love what you did with the bird cage.

Marjie Kemper said...

Such a cool, bold tag... and that bird cage creation is brilliant!

Lynn Stevens said...

great use of the cage!

Gillian .... said...

Hi Sarah, this is so striking with the limited colour palette you chose to work with, love it, and the used of the bird cage die .. genius! x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Hi Sarah,

I really love this tag! The bird & cage are really pretty and I love the layered flower :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Morgan said...

What a fabulous use for the bird cage die, can't wait to give that a try!